rupert thurner wrote:

> we noticed that the support for hardware security modules (smartcards)
> storing ssl client certificates in mozilla/firefox is quite good.
>
> is it possible to somehow reuse this for serf to provide x509 client
> certificate login for subversion, via the serf library?

Does serf use NSS for SSL/TLS now?  or something else?

Mozilla uses NSS, a set of c libraries (callable from c++) that provide
SSL/TLS, CMS (the crypto component in S/MIME), and general certificate
and cryptography libraries.  In the middle of it all is a library called
PK11wrap that finds the right PKCS#11 module to do each crypto operation
(ALL crypto operations are done in PKCS#11 modules).

Given that serf is a c library, it should be possible to make it use NSS.
But if it's now using OpenSSL, then the switch to NSS might be a big change.

Does serf use "modSSL"?  If so, there is a "modNSS" that causes Apache to
use NSS instead of OpenSSL.  That might be an easy change for you.

> see http://code.google.com/p/serf/issues/detail?id=27.

What's the difference between issue 27 and issue 8 (which is marked fixed)?
They seem to be describing the same issue.

/Nelson