Here is what I got to work, loosely based on instructions from Kai Engert:

cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/cvsroot co mozilla/nsprpub
mozilla/security/nss mozilla/security/coreconf mozilla/security/dbm mozilla/dbm
make -C mozilla/security/nss nss_build_all

Then, in the profile directory run these commands:

certutil -d . -S -n example-ca -s
CN=ExampleCA,O=ExampleOrg,L=ExampleLoc,ST=ExampleState,C=US -t C,C,C -x -m 0 -w
-3 -v 99 -5
certutil -d . -S -n user -s
CN=User,O=ExampleOrg,L=ExampleLoc,ST=ExampleState,C=US -c example-ca -t p,p,p
-m 40 -v 60 -5

I was then able to create an additional identity for [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and specify that certificate for signing/encryption.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.