Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:
> Well, I consider this the minimal technical validation required.
> Identity/Organization validation for S/MIME implies prove of ownership
> of the email account/address. Thunderbird doesn't validate the common
> name or organization field, but the email address.

A fair point; it's the distinction between what the software checks
(from address vs. address in cert) and what the person could check (name
in cert).

> Considering for a minute your statement above, what are the CAs in
> question doing in order to guaranty domain/email ownership? What are the
> controls in place which let them rely on identity validation only?

This is where I think we need further investigation, and is partly why I
  suggested talking to some people in the Netherlands familiar with use
of these certs. It may be that certs issued to individuals by these CAs
in the context of Dutch law, business and government services, etc., are
primarily used in non-email contexts (e.g., client authentication to SSL
sites, digital signing of documents separate from email, etc.), and
email addresses are put in the certs just for completeness.

In any case, if it comes to that we can certainly move forward with this
application for SSL and code signing, and leave the email trust bit
turned off until such time as this gets sorted out.

>> Staat der Nederlanden is not a legacy root in the sense of being
>> approved in the Netscape days. I approved it myself a while back, though
>> at the moment I can't recall whether it was before or after adoption of
>> our current policy.
>>
> Nelson added this root at the 2005-04-11, certainly when the CA policy
> already existed, but maybe still unapproved.

Actually I approved the Staat der Nederlanden application back in
September of 2004 (see bug 243424), but it didn't get added to NSS until
several months later. At the time Staat der Nederlanden was approved we
were in the midst of discussing a new CA policy, but hadn't yet
finalized it. So during that period I was operating under an interim
policy that basically matched Microsoft's policy at the time, of
approving CAs based on completion of a WebTrust audit. That's why the
issue of validating email account control didn't come up at that time.

As for doing something about Staat der Nederlanden now, and in
particular turning off the email trust bit for its certs, that warrants
further discussion. Even if the CA is not in compliance with our current
policy, I still have to balance that against the potential impact of
having Staat der Nederlanden certs no longer work with S/MIME email in
Thunderbird, etc. (Because disabling signed and encrypted email for an
existing user base itself has security implications.) That's another
reason why I'd like more input from people more familiar with how the
certs are used in practice.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker