Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Unless Mozilla says "we are going to yank that particular Verisign
> certificate, and all the ones with similar key lengths, decades before
> they expire", there is absolutely no reason for us to, 20 years in
> advance, start requiring "new" CAs to use stronger keys. It is just not
> justified.

I don't think it's nearly that black-and-white. Changing existing roots
is a high-cost, long-lead process; raising the bar on new roots is cheap
and fast. I don't understand why the two are incompatible, nor why
progress should be gated upon perfection.

Are new CAs objecting to the use of stronger certs?

> Proposal:
> [...]

A three-phase migration might be a bit more orderly:

1) short-term: raise bar on new CAs
2) mid-term: get existing CAs to switch to stronger roots
3) long-term: remove weak roots.

#2 helps mitigate the impact of #3 on end-users, lest something force
the issue sooner than desired.

Justin