Paul Hoffman:
I write this all from memory because I can't find that article again.

OK, but an actual reference would be helpful.

Yes, and it's obviously pretty bad from me not being able to back it up. I tried to locate it and even went through mails I sent in 2006 where I could have possibly mentioned it, but no dice. If I remember correctly I saw it initially at heise.de or theregister.com. And I haven't bookmarked it either :-(

I'm sure a big cluster of always getting stronger CPUs (dual, quad,
oct cores) will able to to get on 1024 bit keys in an ever shorter
time until the point to make it economically interesting.

Please say why you are sure. Yes, the existence of someone who is
richer that Bill Gates and who wanted to spend all of his money to
break a single key in about a decade would be "economically
interesting", but not in the way I think you meant.

RFC 3766 is still used for making many important security decisions.

Do you believe it to be still accurate? I understand that it was written at a time before 2004 with references to Itanium 500, Celeron 400 and Dual Pentium II-350 which looks like childsplay to today's 64 bit quad processors with speeds of 3GH per core and 12MB direct cache. I guess those aren't even the strongest chips out there, but certainly in the same price league when comparing. What we are looking at is the to derive the private key from the public key which would be enough to compromise the CA key and with it the whole pile of roots in NSS (as you love to say).

The numbers and math in it are essentially the same as those used by
NIST in the guidance that Nelson posted yesterday. To date, no one
has asked us to update it, or even to make any significant
corrections.

As the author, how do you estimate the situation? Do you feel it's still accurate or have developments and capabilities improved beyond expectations (and despite Moore's law)?

If you know something we don't, it would be really
useful to the whole Internet community to hear more.

I will look for it somewhat more...it can't have disappeared like that...

Regards
Signer:         Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] <xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blog:   Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone:  +1.213.341.0390