Eddy Nigg wrote:
> Frank Hecker:
>> Yes, I'll do that. (Incidentally, I'm now calling it the "potentially
>> problematic practices" list, because there's a lack of consensus on the
>> extent to which some of these practices are problems in general.)
>
> Frank, where is the lack of consensus exactly?

IIRC the reason I changed the wording to "potentially problematic" was
that some of the practices weren't necessarily "problematic" in all
contexts, at least IMO. Thus, for example, distributing private keys
using PKCS#12 is not necessarily a problem, rather it's a problem if the
CA doesn't exercise proper care in how the keys are distributed.

The issue here may be in how we interpret the word "problematic". I was
interpreting the term "problematic" to be simply a fancy way of saying
"this *is* a problem", as opposed to "potentially problematic", which to
me means "this *could be* a problem".

> I saw that Kathleen is already asking new applicants for CA cert
> inclusions those questions from the "Problematic Practices" which I
> think to be quite effective.

Yes, I encouraged Kathleen to collect that information, so we could get
a better idea as to how widespread these practices are, and where they
might constitute real problems. (I was also trying to anticipate any
concerns you might express :-)

Frank

--
Frank Hecker