I'm pretty sure there are some things that can be done to put a TCP
socket into a state that's inappropriate for O_NONBLOCK mode, but I
can't think of any off the top of my head.  Is there a reference
somewhere that lists the kinds of things that a programmer needs to
avoid?  If there is, could the documentation page link to it, or
import it?

Thank you very much for documenting this!

-Kyle H