On 10/07/2008 04:07 PM, István Zsolt BERTA:
> As I read above, it currently does not pose a problem that there is an
> OCSP URL in the AIA field of the certificate. If you think that this
> shall become problematic in the future, we can modify the profile of
> webserver certificates and remove the OCSP URL (as long as the OCSP is
> not useful for the general public).

Yes, I think this is what should be done. OCSP responders are not a
requirement currently (so I think it's highly suggested), but using the
AIA extension makes the certificates unusable for any relying party
which treats OCSP failures as an error.

>>> We had good reasons to choose this solution. According to Hungarian
>>> regulations, a qualified CA is allowed to use its private key for the
>>> following two purposes only:
>
>> You are not allowed to issue intermediate CA certificates then? Are you
>> issuing directly from the CA root?
>
> The CA key used for signing qualified certificates can be used for
> signing qualified end-user certificates and CRLs. This also means that
> we cannot issue intermediate CA certificates with that particular key
> and we cannot issue non-qualified certificates either.

Well, I don't get it. Your diagram at
http://srv.e-szigno.hu/menu/index.php?lap=english_ca_hierarchy shows
clearly that you are issuing intermediate CA certificates from the root,
but in the previous comment you claimed that the CA is only allowed to use
* signing qualified end-user certificates and
* signing CRLs.
Does this apply to the intermediate CA certificates but not the CA root?

> We have a root, which does not issue end-user certificates, but issues
> CA certificates for our own CAs only.

Which root is that? I understand there is only one root up for inclusion...

>> What are the checks performed on code-signing certificates?
>
> 1. We verify the existence of the company which requests the code-
> signing certificate using an online connection to the Hungarian
> registry of businesses.
> 2. We verify the existence of the documents (driving license, ID card
> or passport) of the person who requests the code-signing certificate
> on behalf of that particular company. We perform this verification
> using an online connection to the Office of the Central Office for
> Administrative and Electronic Public Services.
> http://www.nyilvantarto.hu/kekkh/kozos/index.php?k=nyitolap_en&b=bal_eng
> 3. Using a face-to-face registration (as the CP is NCP-based) we
> verify the identity of the person who requested the certificate on
> behalf of that company. This person has to meet our registration
> officer and has to present the document (driving license, ID card or
> passport) that was verified in step 2.
> 4. We verify that this person has the authority to sign on behalf of
> the company. We generally request a notarial deed (issued by a public
> notary) as a proof.

Thanks for that! I still would like to read your CP/CPS in English (even
if only machine translated). Is it somehow possible to facilitate that?

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blog:   https://blog.startcom.org