On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:07 AM, István Zsolt BERTA
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well, I don't get it. Your diagram at
>> http://srv.e-szigno.hu/menu/index.php?lap=english_ca_hierarchy shows
>> clearly that you are issuing intermediate CA certificates from the root,
>> but in the previous comment you claimed that the CA is only allowed to use
>> * signing qualified end-user certificates and
>> * signing CRLs.
>> Does this apply to the intermediate CA certificates but not the CA root?
>
> It applies to the private key used for signing qualified certificates
> (end-entity certificates issued to natural persons) only, so it does
> not apply to roots that sign CA certificates.

Okay, I'm a bit confused.  The Root CA itself does not sign qualified
certificates, but it authenticates the private key used to sign
qualified certificates?

>> > We have a root, which does not issue end-user certificates, but issues
>> > CA certificates for our own CAs only.
>
>> Which root is that? I understand there is only one root up for inclusion...
>
> We requested the inclusion of one root, 'Microsec e-Szigno Root CA'
> only.
> (The root 'e-Szigno OCSP CA' is our OCSP root. The root 'Közigazgatási
> Gyökér Hitelesítés Szolgáltató' is a Hungarian governmental root
> operated by the Hungarian government that cross-certififes certain
> commercial CAs (like Microsec), it does not belong to us. The gray
> ones below are our test roots for testing purposes, they do not belong
> to our official system.)

The 'Microsec e-Szigno Root CA' is a different CA name than 'e-Szigno
OCSP CA', and thus the OCSP CA does not match the X.509 or OCSP
requirements to be able to sign OCSP responses for 'Microsec e-Szigno
Root CA'.

-Kyle H