On 21/3/09 16:54, Eddy Nigg wrote:

Huu? No outcry about rudeness in mailing lists here?

Eddy, I agree that rudeness was carrying us away from the problem and on to the personalities. Indeed, it's up to all of us to be be minded of this. For reasons that are too wordy to be worth the bytes, I didn't do it, so thanks!

Now, to the problem. It seems that we have a consensus that client certificates (in a client authentication role at least) are unusable with the current system. Approximately, for many reasons.

And, the way forward is more UI support [1], as suggested by Johnathan. Specifically, to me at least, it seems that it would look like this:

a. For every request for a client-cert, there would be a request from low-level code to intermediate-level code for a key/certificate.

b. In the intermediate layer, that request would be matched against a list of pre-established tuples like {domain name, certificate, action, status}.

c. If the typle isn't found (which means the domain name wasn't indexed) then the intermediate level code would pass the request up to the higher-layer code to ask the user (pop-up?) :

    * which certificate to use (if more than one available)
    * whether to accept this choice:
      + once
      + for minutes (say 30 minutes, but configurable)
      + for now (in memory, not saved to disk) [2]
      + forever (save tuple to disk).
    * whether to display the client identity in use

d. The intermediate layer returns the key/cert to be used via either tuple matching or via user interface. Then, once the tuple is set/saved, we have a good chance of transparent session restart.

How does that sound?

iang

[1] Yes, we noted that servers may be misconfigured. But, waiting for the servers to be properly configured looks implausible, we might be waiting for a long time, and even then we won't have solved the full problem. It seems fairly clear that clients will *always* have to deal with it, regardless.

[2] For my money, I want the "for now" option because I want to be re-asked in a few days of what's going on ... and be forced to rethink whether I want a long term relationship here or not. I don't want the browser to store any relationship in any permanent store until I tell it. That's just me...