On 03/22/2009 12:55 AM, Ian G:
I don't know about these things, but I recognise that badly configured servers are a pain. The servers I have experienced this with are Apache. They may be misconfigured, but the sysadms aren't agreeing at the moment, and talking about the sysadms being "bad" isn't going to help; they are no better nor worse than the other ones I've known.

Now I have to disagree strongly with you. Servers must be configured no matter what. No server comes with a correctly installed server certificate for example, nor is a server tuned to serve your specific content. Server MUST be configured otherwise they don't work....including client cert auth. Incidentally your sys admin must have configured the server in question to request client cert auth because NO server asks for client certificates in their default configuration...so give me a break and kick your sys admin... (most likely he doesn't have a clue about what he is doing, but that's another story I guess)

And even when the Apache config is "fixed", this is just the server-side workaround.

LOL...a misconfiguration server will ALWAYS make you problems...any misconfigured software will. This is not a work-around, in your situation it's most likely THE solution.

This only means I have to hit a pop-up once every day, it doesn't solve the fundamental problem: I want to use cert X speaking to server Y.

It's the other way around, but I can offer you support for a reasonable fee to have your server configured accordingly...

Do you really imagine that those ideas have not already been considered by
the browser folks, many times, long ago?

Hmmm, well, many questions abound: why wasn't it done? where was this discussed? Why didn't client certs just happen? Why are we still using passwords?

Good question....it's because it's so much more convenient and everybody is doing it...but guess what, some thought leaders and some leading projects are working on having that changed.

But there is indeed no logic to defend Paypal and your bank with XYZ measures as long as they use useless user/pass pairs. But in the end of the day it's all a question of risk assessment and the price you are willing to pay and that of the insurance. Once that price goes up there are viable solutions like client certs...

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: start...@startcom.org
Blog:   https://blog.startcom.org