Kyle Hamilton wrote, On 2009-03-19 23:07:

> My reason for the conservative time suggestions is because that's what
> banks tend to use (my bank times me out after 15 minutes of
> inactivity, as does my phone company, and my electric company, and
> PayPal, and...).

But those are *minutes of inactivity*.  SSL session lifetimes typically
do not take activity (or inactivity) into account.  If you set a 10
minute lifetime, then 10 minutes later, that session will end, and you
must reauthenticate again.  So, 10 minutes means reauthenticating 6
times each hour, 48 times per work day.  :(

> IE7 does have a "forget sessions" button.  I'd like to see a
> reasonable thing implemented as well in Firefox.

FF has had this feature for years.