On 2009-07-04 04:19 PDT, Ian G wrote:
> Some remarks.
>
> On 4/7/09 12:18, Martin Paljak wrote:
>
>> Firefox displays a "Please enter password for ..." dialog, which is
>> ambiguous for casual users who need to be said very clearly when they
>> need to enter the PIN of 4 or more digits. Right now my Firefox speaks
>> Estonian but I also remember a phrase "master password" somewhere...
>
> Yes, I get this frequently with my one user who demands my support.
> When Firefox asks for a password, I always get called to answer what it
> is.  It starts from the basics ("why,what,which,...") and continues
> through to hatred and loathing.

You provide customer support for Firefox?

> The worst one is the "software security device" or somesuch.  My user
> does not want a "software security device."  My user tells me loudly to
> make it go away.

Your user thinks that you control the behavior of Firefox?

> I can't get through the message to her that the
> "software security device" is just some broken metaphor for her
> certificate, because she's convinced Firefox is telling her there is
> piece of hardware gone wrong, and she knows it hasn't.

Yeah, I don't like that name either, but it's not under the NSS team's
control.

> The security messages (in english) are just completely useless before
> real life users.  I have no doubt it gets worse in other languages :)

Well, you could develop a localization of Firefox.  All those strings are
changeable in a localization.  You know, we have EN-us and EN-gb and others.
How about EN-ig?  :)

> Non-repudiation:  should be deleted where ever seen.

Hear! Hear!