On 3/7/09 09:30, Martin Paljak wrote:
2. Fix Firefox/NSS - Firefox still thinks that you should be able to
authenticate to websites with certificates *without* TLS client
authentication extension. Add automatic certificate selection, and you
get trouble.

Yes, this makes cert login as bad as other forms of login. We desperately need some form of whitelisting in Firefox so that each site always gets presented the same cert. If browsers can remember cookies and username/passwords, then they can remember cert/domain combinations.

2a. I don't know if the defaults have changed lately, but allow the end
user to define the "friendly certs" option for PKCS#11 tokens, which
currently has no UI except the Javascript loading function which got
removed from UI land and moved to XPI land in FF 3.5. There are tokens
that require this feature, but some PKCS#11 providers like OpenSC which
support many different tokens have no easy way to work in both ways.

As an aside, does anyone have any stats about how many people use these non-Firefox security devices? It is somewhat clear that most end-users can't use these things, only corporates can. So Mozilla priority for these things might be lacking.

Whereas, end users can use browser-embedded certificates.

3. For Firefox only: provide a useful JS interface to allow access to
keys which are not used for web authentication but present under "my
certificates" for real-life online signing procedures. I know that here
the vision of a polished solution differs between people but I also
second Anders that there are many (tens?) custom built modules here in
EU which re-implement at least the minimal part: signing a hash.

Are these easy-to-deploy open source plugins of some form?

GUI
requirements (like displaying the title of a document, displaying a
legal warning, displaying the whole document to be signed) could be
worked upon in a common way once the basics are agreed upon to be useful.

Right, digital signing would be a good application. But can't be done properly without the browsers accepting a common protocol.

For now, I think the reason why there is so little interest for this
field is that it is really hard to market such features. The reason why
Apple has very low prirorities for smart card related fixes is that it
is really hard for Steve to demo this on the big stage. Same goes with
Firefox. And "those who really want it, can in theory achieve their
goals with extras and extensions" works as well.

Concur.