On Sep 13, 2009, at 9:29, Nelson B Bolyard <nel...@bolyard.me> wrote:

On 2009-09-13 06:26 PDT, Frank Hecker wrote:
However since all the relevant code was contributed by Cryptocom, all we
need to do is to ask permission from Cryptocom to be able to use the
source files in NSS under the NSS licensing arrangements (i.e., the
MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-license). Since Cryptocom was willing to contribute its code to implement GOST in OpenSSL, I suspect they would be amenable to
doing the same thing for NSS.

That's good news.

I think this is basically impossible for people who have licensed work
under GPL and have thereby relinquished copyright to the work.

Licensing your work under the GPL does *not* mean you have relinguished
copyright. If you release a work under the GPL you are still the
copyright owner, and have the right to release the work under other
licenses other than the GPL. (This is exactly what MySQL AB used to do
with the MySQL database code.)

I wonder if this has changed in GPL v3. I distinctly recall, years ago when I first encountered the GPL, there being a requirement to give the
copyright in one's code to FSF as part of licensing it under the GPL.

Today, I see the FSF web site talks about "copyright assignment". I don't know all the implications of that, but I presume that it is essentially a relinquishment, except that you keep your own name on the copyrighted
work.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html says:

Why the FSF gets copyright assignments from contributors
by Professor Eben Moglen, Columbia University Law School
[...]
In order to make sure that all of our copyrights can meet the
recordkeeping and other requirements of registration, and in order to be able to enforce the GPL most effectively, FSF requires that each author of code incorporated in FSF projects provide a copyright assignment, and, where appropriate, a disclaimer of any work-for-hire ownership claims by
the programmer's employer.

I would imagine that any piece of work whose copyright has been assigned
to FSF is no longer free to be relicensed by its original author.

You're missing the most critical clause: "incorporated in FSF projects".

If you run your own project, you don't need to adhere to their administrative demands.

-Kyle H