My bad, I wasn't clear (I think) that I'm talking about server side code, not
client, i.e. essentially a Java based web server with the SSL Socket handled by
JSS.

so at this point all I have is SSLSocket.enableDefaultCipher(SSLSocket.xxxx)

and socket.enableTLS(true)
socket.disableSSLv3(true)

type stuff. I can't seem to see anyway other than these methods to control
protocols.

Sincerely