Becca, thank you for getting all the environment variables you're
supporting added to some draft spec, and tentative web-platform-tests
landed - I agree with the earlier discussions that this is a pre-requisite
to shipping (even when Safari has sadly shipped without having invested in
such engineering discipline).

Ideally we'd have the rest of the env() behavior that we're shipping fully
specified somewhere (even if not yet agreed upon), but given that Safari
has already shipped and developers are starting to depend on it, I'm pretty
confident that either the spec will end up following what's already been
shipped in Safari, or WebKit will agree on breaking changes we feel we can
make. So I'm not convinced we'd get any real-world interoperability value
by blocking our ship further on getting the additional details added to the
spec, instead of just continuing to incubate and iterate.

However it is important to ensure we are actually shipping something that's
interoperable with Safari including the edge cases. I just ran all the
tests at https://w3c-test.org/css/css-env on an iPhone (iOS 11.4) and see
that most of them are failing (eg. every "syntax" test fails with
"assert_equals expected "rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)" but got "rgb(0, 128, 0)").
They're passing on a Mac (Safari 11.0.3) and when I use an iPhone X on
browserstack.com (iOS 11, can't tell which point release), so I suspect one
of Mobile safari's non-standard quirks (maybe something about viewport
behavior?), but I didn't try to debug them. Do you have access to an iPhone
you can try debugging with, just to double-check that we really are
shipping something that behaves the same on Chrome Android as Safari iOS?

Rick