Hello Benjamin -
  The converse is true as well.  If you don't honor installs_allowed_from, how
can a free app developer make sure that some store isn't charging for their
app?  Personally, as an app developer, don't want to automatically  give
universal permission for any arbitrary store to distribute my app.  It should
be my choice.  We can make the default be open ("*"), but we should respect the
developers wishes.

Note that "trusted" apps (those that require higher sensitivity APIs) have to
come from specific stores that have signed off on the app.  Even if the app is
free.  But that isn't directly germane to the discussion.
-Jim Straus