I'm with Michael on this one. We should really only be releasing one
package that has all of the source and built binaries. IMO the
interpretation of http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html that we must have
a source-only release is overly restrictive. "Every ASF release must
contain a source package, which must be sufficient for a user to build and
test the release provided they have access to the appropriate platform and
tools." can also be interpreted such that a single package with source and
binaries meets the release requirement.

I have seen a lot of confusion about people trying to build the accumulo
code when they really don't need to, and they often run into trouble when
their environment is not set up for java development. Having multiple
.tar.gz artifacts adds to this confusion. When we reordered the download
page so that the -dist.tar.gz came before the -src.tar.gz those types of
questions dropped dramatically on the mailing list. The existence of the
-src.tar.gz creates confusion on its own (although our README doesn't help).

Adam