A user of 1.4.a should be able to move to 1.4.b without any "major"
infrastructure changes, such as swapping out HDFS or installing extra
add-ons.

I don't find much merit in debating local WAL vs HDFS WAL cost/benefit
since the only quantifiable evidence we have supported the move.

I should note, Sean, that if you see merit in the work, you don't need
community approval for forking and sharing. However, I do not think it is
in the community's best interest to continue to upgrade 1.4.