On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To me, it seems like the argument may be coming down to whether or not we
> break 0.20 hadoop compatibility on a bug-fix release and how concerned we
> are about letting users lag behind the upstream development.
>

>  I think the existing tickets under the umbrella of ACCUMULO-1790 should
>> ensure that we end up with a single 1.4 line that can work with either the
>> existing 0.20.203.0 claimed in releases or against 2.2.0.
>>
>> Bill (or Josh or Chris), is there stronger language you'd like to see
>> around docs / packaging (area #3 in the original plan and currently
>> ACCUMULO-1796)? Maybe expressly only doing a binary convenience package
>> for
>> 0.20.203.0? Are you looking for something beyond a full release suite to
>> ensure 1.4 is still maintaining compatibility on Hadoop 0.20.203?
>>

> Again, my biggest concern here is not following our own guidelines of
> breaking changes across minor releases, but I'd hope 0.20 users have an
> upgrade path outlined for themselves.

The plan outlined in the original thread, and in the subtasks under
ACCUMULO-1790, is expressly aimed at not breaking 0.20 compatibility in the
1.4 bugfix line. If there's anything we can do besides running through the
release test suite on a 0.20 cluster to help ensure that, I am interested
in adding it to the existing plan.

--
Sean