It'd be really cool to see a C++ client -- fully implemented or not. The
increased performance via other languages like you said would be really nice,
but I'd also be curious to see how the server characteristics change when the
client might be sending data at a much faster rate.

My C++ is super rusty these days, but I'd be happy to help out any devs who can
spearhead the effort :)

John R. Frank wrote:
Accumulo Developers,

We're trying to boost throughput of non-Java tools with Accumulo.  It seems
that the lowest hanging fruit is to stop using the thrift proxy. Per discussion
about Python and thrift proxy in the users list [1], I'm wondering if anyone is
interested in helping with a native C++ client?  There is a start on one here
[2]. We could offer a bounty or maybe make a consulting project depending who
is interested in it.

We also looked at trying to run a separate thrift proxy for every worker thread
or process.  With many cores on a box, eg 32, it just doesn't seem practical to
run that many proxies, even if they all run on a single JVM. We'd be glad to
hear ideas on that front too.

A potentially big benefit of making a proper C++ accumulo client is that it is
straightforward to expose native interfaces in Python (via pyObject), Go [3],
Ruby [4], and other languages.

Thanks for any advice, pointers, interest.

John

1-- http://www.mail-archive.com/user@accumulo.apache.org/msg03999.html

2--
https://github.com/phrocker/apeirogon