We've definitely used the website for more than that. We use it to
document things for users, help developers know how to contribute,
store drafts of designs, share user stories via blogs, do release
announcements, and more. There's definitely space on the website to do
this kind of thing, if we want to. We've used it that way before. If
you only see it as a place "for user consumption after everything has
been finalized", then you're missing out on the other ways we
currently use the site, and the ways we've used it in the past.

With the website, most of the collaboration would happen in the GH
issues about proposed designs or changes to designs, just like we do
today with code or other documentation, which everybody is used to. I
agree it's not as good as Google Docs for on-the-fly
comments/annotations, but I don't think Confluence or Wiki are as good
as that either, and Google Docs isn't really an option... unless you
just want to link to it in the mailing list and stick to Google Docs
from your personal Google account, until it's ready for publication,
which would also be fine (any interested persons can simply request
write access by replying to the message where you shared the link)..

We are a much smaller project than many others, and we have previously
suffered from having stuff too spread out. Even if other projects find
a separate space valuable for them, I'm not sure it's best for the
Accumulo project. While I think it's useful to examine what other
projects do, I do think we should be careful to adopt anything just
because others find it convenient for them.

Confluence is my second choice, but with a big gap between it and my
first choice.

On a personal note: I hate using Confluence, because I think the
navigation is highly unintuitive, as is the permissions model, and I
don't like the idea of learning yet another wiki-syntax (though I've
read Confluence supports some limited Markdown, but probably not the
same as GitHub/Jekyll). I also do not want to set up custom
notifications for watching yet another space. If we use Confluence, I
will probably contribute very infrequently there because of my
frustrations with having used it before. However, that would be my
choice, and should not be a reason the project chooses one over
another. I'm sharing my personal opinion only because it is
influencing my opinion about the website being more accessible, via
our current GitHub PR/issue/Markdown workflows, and I wonder how many
other potential contributors would feel similarly. It's hard to know,
since it seems like a lot of this is subjective, and is going to come
down to a consensus of personal preferences.