Where I think we are now…. (started before Hadrians recent post, but
reemphasized by it)

My apologies for misrepresenting what anyone and everyone has said.  In
particular, I think Art and Hadrian have been the squeaky wheels, and I may
still be missing a lot of what you are concerned about.  On the other hand a
lot of my questions have gone unanswered.

1. artemis to incubator.  The original discussion was to bring what is now
artemis into the activemq community.  Therefore to me there needs to be a
problem that kicking it out again will really clearly  solve.  As near as I can
make out the problem is insufficient involvement of non-redhat employees.  To
me the best way to solve this is by increasing the involvement of non-redhat
employees rather than decreasing the involvement of redhat employees. I think
pushing any enthusiastic community members out is a bad idea.

If you think the people focusing primarily on artemis aren't community members
yet, I will repeat my question that no one has tried to answer yet….. what did
you think would happen when you invited them in?

2. Community involvement, expanding the community, etc.  I think everyone
agrees by now that the existing committers "should" apply all the outstanding
patches, invite more people to be committers, and the PMC "should" invite
non-PMC committers onto the PMC.  Somehow I'd expect the loudest complainers to
be at the forefront of this activity, but, although I might be blind, I don't.
 I'm left with the impression that Hadrian and Art think that along with their
day jobs, the red hat employees are the only people who have enough time, by
virtue of their jobs, to do this work as well. I dunno, this is just an
impression I'm developing after waiting for weeks for a positive suggestion
about the community.  Who specifically should we vote in as a committer?
That's something we could have done a couple weeks ago.  Which committer,
specifically, could be brought into the PMC to try to counterbalance the
alleged RH junta?

I'm really discouraged by the insistence from a couple people that the only
possible explanation of where we are now is an evil Winston/Fuse/RedHat
conspiracy.  I think it's also just barely possible that after working all day
people get tired.  After providing unpaid all-waking-hours support for first
jboss and then geronimo for many many years I sure did.  This is not to say
that there isn't a strong need for more community involvement, but expecting
the same people to do everything all the time is getting implausible.

david jencks