> So, that's a "Yes, it does duplicate the entire repository (which can be
> quite sizeable) in order to have multiple branches checked out
> simultaneously."  Got it. Clearly a disadvantage.

I give up!!!
We should probably migrate Artemis and AMQ5 to SVN as well.
Pretty horrible disadvantage to have all the versions available
without being connected.

You can certainly do tricks to checkout on another directory, but it's
just easy to copy the directory.

> So, for example, I would be able to have the following structure on my
> local hard disk?
>
> Apache.NMS/
>         /trunk
>         /tags
>             /1.7.0
>             /1.7.1
> Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ/
>         /trunk
>         /tags
>             /1.7.0
>             /1.7.1
>             /1.7.2

That's messed up... horrible dependencies between versions. Even as is now.

I wouldn't even bring that build style into the new project. If that's
the case I would say keep the current SVN the way it is, and start a
new one on git.