I've been haphazardly following this discussion.  I did some work on the
NMS API last year, possibly the 20-odd commits you refer to.

It is correct to say that NMS is just a general open interface to any
transport,  openwire is just one.  The work I did was for AMQP.   I've
forgotten how many transports are implemented in the NMS project but I
believe it was somewhere between 3 and 6 (STOMP is there as well).

Also the measure of the importance of the API should be in the
downloads/use of the API, not in the code modifications. But on the other
hand, if there are no tickets or bugs being raised it's probable it's not
being used.

The work I did to create an AMQP transport for Apache.NMS was for
AMQPnetLite, not for QPID AMQP.   The main thing it lacks is nuget
packaging to be generally available in the .NET world.

That said, I have found my priorities have changed and I'm not the person
to be the champion here, so I can't argue strongly for maintaining a
development tree that I won't likely contribute to very much. It would be
nice to see it carried on, but if the community as a whole does not see any
use for this then better to let it atrophy.

Regards,
Ragnar