I think there is an element of difficulty in documenting precise
criteria for plugins, as to a certain extent what the plugin is (and
to smaller degree perhaps even what its implementation entails) could
influence how necessary or appropriate people think it is to be part
of this project, and might weigh against particular choices depending
on views on certain matters such as licensing (more below). I guess
thats precisely the type of uncertainty you are seeking to avoid, but
I'm not sure I see an easy path to do that in advance in an entirely
generic way.

The main things would seem to be general consensus from the PMC that
the plugin is something they think should be a component part of this
project as opposed to its own, and that there is clear support both
for maintaining and releasing it going forward. At least 3 binding
votes would be needed for it being released, so I'd expect that many
or preferably more to be in obvious support before it is established
as a plugin.

On plugins being shuffled off, I think with it now seeming individual
repositories is the preferred route this becomes even more similar to
any of the existing components such as the brokers or clients
themselves. If at some point it seems there is a lack of support
needed to continue maintaining and releasing a plugin, and releases
seem/are necessary but arent happening, then a discussion can be had
on their future. Maybe that prompts a revival of interest which is
good, or maybe its established that the plugin goes away at some
chosen point if things havent changed by then, or maybe that time has
been and gone an its shuffled off there and then.

On "Any third party dependency plugin including dependency to third
party client jar must be apache license approved. (E.g. we can have
plugin or extension for a closed source commerical tool)", am I right
to think the "we can have" was meant to be 'we cant have' or 'can we
have'? In general I'd say keeping things ASLv2 compatible is a good
idea, though per the recent "LICENSE ISSUE" thread optional
functionality can have Category X dependencies, and such plugins would
usually seem to fit that categorisation of optional. This would be a
choice for the PMC on what they want to permit, but is perhaps even a
bit of a 'is this particular plugin of benefit warranting that hassle'
balance, which per my opening can be hard to define up front - unless
for this specific case everything agrees now the answer is always that
its never warranted and those things must live elsewhere.

Robbie