Yep, committers can also manually do a deploy.

Old snapshots are removed when the 'matching non-snapshot version' is
released. Though it does still leave behind some metadata, so the
related folders typically still all remain, making it a little harder
to see what really is there. There are lots of these in the tree.

Things that never actually get released for a variety of reasons
currently stick around forever (e.g as the component was never
actually released again, or a specific module went away before
release, or the version number was changed between initial development
and the eventual release, etc etc). There are also a variety of these
in the tree as well.