This is a good summary Justin. As someone who mostly follows issues these
days-as opposed to contributing-a few things to add, having used both to manage
work:

* Github has "projects" which allow you to organize tasks across repos -- which
in some ways is helpful, but you have to know to look for the projects
* Github milestones are a bit weird, and not as intuitive as target/fix
versions, but they suffice -- as Justin points out, deciding how to use those,
and reference issues/releases is important
* The two tools are mostly comparable with some drawbacks to either: github is
about 3 quarters as mature as Jira in many ways IMO, but if it saves the PMC
time, that's a big draw.
* I agree that the intent of making everything more approachable by using
Github is a worthwhile goal, and probably a likely result -- especially if
releases are being tagged + documented in the project
* Seeing a repo with a ton of issues on github isn't really the best visual
experience, as the github UI isn't super clear, so probably setting up/linking
some project views would be the way to go