I fully agree on all your points Dan.

First about PEX vs Docker, Docker is a clear choice here. It's a superset
of what PEX can do (PEX is limited to python env) and a great standard that
has awesome tooling around it, works natively in k8s, which is becoming the
preferred executor. PEX is a bit of a hack and has failed to become a
standard. I don't think anyone would argue for PEX over Docker in almost
any context where this question would show up nowadays (beyond Airflow too).

And pickles have a lot of disadvantages over docker:
* some objects are not picklable (JinjaTemplates!)
* lack of visibility / tooling on building them, you might make one call
and get a 500mb pickle, and have not clue why it's so big
* unlike docker, they are impossible to introspect (as far as I know), you
have to intercept the __deepcopy__  method, good luck!
* pickles require a very similar environment to be rehydrated (same GCC
version, same modules/version available?)
* weird side effects and unknown boundaries. If I pickled a DAG on an older
version of airflow and code logic got included, and restore it on a newer,
could the new host be oddly downgraded as a result? when restored, did it
affect the whole environment / other DAGs?

My vote goes towards something like SimpleDAG serialization (for web server
and similar use cases) + docker images built with top of a lightweight SDK
as the way to go.

Since it's pretty clear we need SimpleDAG serialization, and we can see
through the requirements, people can pretty much get started on this.

The question of how to bring native Docker support to Airflow is a bit more
complex. I think the k8s executor has support for custom DAG containers but
idk how it works as I haven't look deeply into this recently. Docker
support in Airflow is a tricky and important question, and it offers an
opportunity to provide solutions to long standing issues around versioning,
test/dev user workflows, and more.

Related docker questions:
* what's the docker interface contract? what entry point have to exist in
the image?
* does airflow provide tooling to help bake images that enforce that
contract?
* do we need docker tag semantics in the DSL? does it look something like
`DAG(id='mydag', docker_tag=hub.docker.com://org/repo/tag', ...)`
* is docker optional or required? (probably optional at first)
* should docker support be k8s-executor centric? work the same across
executor? are we running docker-in-docker as a result / penalty in k8s?

Max