My main concern is around the data model, I feel like the data model should
take into account future serialization efforts. This is mainly because
migrations are not cheap, and sometimes it's not easy to automate with an
alembic migration.

e.g. the AIP proposes storing DAG edges, whereas I think we should be
storing JSON5 representations of the whole SimpleDag instead of creating
some new model for "edges". This way the representation can eventually be
used for scheduling, not just for webservers. It might also be good to
think about what information would be useful to have in these new tables
for future use cases and add them now.

I 100% agree this is a good stepping stone towards all of the serialization
efforts discussed in this thread, and apologies for polluting the thread,
we can take the conversation out into a new thread.