Hello Airflow community,

Over the last year, an engineer at Google developed, and open sourced a
Kubernetes operator to run Airflow[1]. Anyone can use it to deploy Airflow
on their k8s cluster freely.

There have been discussions among community members that it would be great
to donate the operator to Apache to be part of Airflow. That way it is easy
to accept contributions from the community, improve and maintain it
collectively and transparently, along with the Airflow-k8s integration.

This idea has been discussed at Google, and we have obtained all necessary
approvals to donate the operator.

This discussion is to gather opinions from the community whether you all
think that it is a good idea. I personally think that this would be a great
addition to Airflow.

Please express your thoughts or concerns if you have any.

The discussion will run for 72 hours, and if there is consensus on
accepting the donation, we will move the code under the Apache
organization, to be owned by the Airflow community. If consensus is not
evident, we can have a vote after this discussion.

Thanks,
Aizhamal

[1] https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/airflow-operator