Hello everyone,

We have a question with Ash whether the way we are distributing alpha
releases of our Docker images is ok for everyone. This is mainly to the
other PMCs in the project but anyone's opinion is welcome.

*Context:*

We have been iterating with the production image over the last few days
with Ash - we tried to make them usable for the helm chart and we had to
add a few scripts. In order to make them testable with the Helm chart, we
pushed images built using official airflow 1.10.10 release but with a few
modifications (some script like entrypoint and clean-logs were updated).

We've been thinking that this is "borderline" OK with Apache rules for
unreleased software (
https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution.html#unreleased).
While we seem to be ok with the first three rules, the fourth one is a bit
vague:

* must not be distributed through channels which encourage use by anyone
outside the project development community

Those images are available in the DockerHub in apache/airlfow project with
names like:

* apache/airflow:1.10.10.1-alpha1-python3.6
* apache/airflow:1.10.10.1-alpha2-python3.6

I have a PR where we keep track of the changes and where we explain the
reasoning behind it and clearly mark it as  "alpha/development" releases:
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/9162/files

*Question:*

Is this OK for everyone that we follow it this way?

*Content of the note in IMAGES.rst:*

Alpha versions of 1.10.10 production-ready images

The production images have been released for the first time in 1.10.10
release of Airflow as "Alpha" quality ones. Between 1.10.10 the images are
being improved and the 1.10.10 images should be patched and published
several times separately in order to test them with the upcoming Helm Chart.

Those images are for development and testing only and should not be used
outside of the development community.

The images were pushed with tags following the pattern:
apache/airflow:1.10.10.1-alphaN-pythonX.Y.. Patch level is an increasing
number (starting from 1).

Those are alpha-quality releases however they contain the officially
released Airflow 1.10.10 code. The main changes in the images are scripts
embedded in the images.

The following versions were pushed:
+-------+--------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+

| 1     | ``1.10.10.1-alpha1-pythonX.Y`` | Support for parameters added to
bash and python commands |
| 2     | ``1.10.10-1-alpha2-pythonX.Y`` | Added "/clean-logs" script

The commits used to generate those images are tagged with
prod-image-1.10.10.1-alphaN tags.

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>