I personally would vote for *(b) Contain new features as well as the
removal of deprecated features *as otherwise, it does not feel like it is a
major release to me.

A major release to me is where we add new features of significant values as
we did with Airflow 2.0.0.
This is also good in terms of marketing where blog posts and video posts
(talks in conferences) can talk about *what's new in 3.0.0? *instead of 3.1
or 3.2

Regards,
Kaxil