> Alternatively, we can release a new Airflow 2.1 release - bump minor,
> because we add functionality in a backward-compatible manner and bump
> major version for all provider packages, because we are introducing
> version restrictions.

That sounds better, We could do it without breaking any SemVer properties.
We could bump all provider's versions and make them  >= 2.1.
That could indeed drive 2.1 adoption this way. Not sure if "apply_defaults"
and "common backend" is a good-enough justification for it for our users,
but for me that sounds good and I would be all for it. Maybe we can find
few more
things that we could already target for 2.1 and this could - when
accumulated -
give a nice "2.1"-worthy set of changes.

I wonder what others think :)

J,