From: Andrey Anshin <andrey.ans...@taragol.is>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2024 2:39 PM
To: dev@airflow.apache.org
Cc: james.du...@improving.com.invalid
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Restore the SQL server backend

There was a proposal to keep it in the past [1] with a short explanation why
the maintainers did not want to keep it.

>  many Microsoft customers who are using Airflow

Microsoft also supports and participates in the development of PostgreSQL,
there is one Core Team member and couple of Major Contributors working in
Microsoft [2] and in addition a couple years ago Microsoft acquired one of the
PostgreSQL vendors [3]. So I would like to believe that Microsoft also could
offer different services around PostgreSQL for their customers.

[1] Keep Mssql support:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/ot58ms069z4pyhj786j1m0dqds6lhjks
[2] PostgreSQL: Contributors Profiles:
https://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/
[3] Microsoft Acquires Citus Data:
https://www.citusdata.com/blog/2019/01/24/microsoft-acquires-citus-data/

On Thu, 30 May 2024 at 21:18, Pierre Jeambrun <pierrejb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I share Jed feeling. The effort required to maintain those compare to
> the value it actually brings combined with the usage from the survey,
> it doesn’t seem worth it to me.
>
> On Thu 30 May 2024 at 19:16, Jed Cunningham <jedcunning...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Just for context, here were (roughly) the results from the 2023
> > Airflow
> > survey:
> >
> > PostgreSQL: 75%
> > MySQL: 15%
> > MSSQL: 5%
> >
> > Also, there are already discussions about potentially dropping MySQL
> > support in Airflow 3. Given all that and the points from the past
> > vote, I don't think it makes much sense to bring MSSQL back.

________________________________
 Strike Technologies, LLC (“Strike”) is part of the GTS family of companies.
Strike is a technology solutions provider, and is not a broker or dealer and
does not transact any securities related business directly whatsoever. This
communication is the property of Strike and its affiliates, and does not
constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security
in any jurisdiction. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Distribution or copying of this communication, or
the information contained herein, by anyone other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify Strike at i...@striketechnologies.com, and delete and
destroy any copies hereof.
________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY / PRIVILEGE NOTICE: This transmission and any attachments are
intended solely for the addressee. This transmission is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C ''2510-2521. The information
contained in this transmission is confidential in nature and protected from
further use or disclosure under U.S. Pub. L. 106-102, 113 U.S. Stat. 1338
(1999), and may be subject to attorney-client or other legal privilege. Your
use or disclosure of this information for any purpose other than that intended
by its transmittal is strictly prohibited, and may subject you to fines and/or
penalties under federal and state law. If you are not the intended recipient of
this transmission, please DESTROY ALL COPIES RECEIVED and confirm destruction
to the sender via return transmittal.