Hello Erik,

I understand your concern. It's a hard one to solve in general (i.e.
dependency-hell). It looks like in this case you treat Airflow as
'library', where for some other people it might be more like 'end product'.
If you look at the "pinning" philosophy - the "pin everything" is good for
end products, but not good for libraries. In the case you have Airflow is
treated as a bit of both. And it's perfectly valid case at that (with
custom python DAGs being central concept for Airflow).
However, I think it's not as bad as you think when it comes to exact
pinning.

I believe - a bit counter-intuitively - that tools like pip-tools/poetry
with exact pinning result in having your dependencies upgraded more often,
rather than less - especially in complex systems where dependency-hell
creeps-in. If you look at Airflow's setup.py now - It's a bit scary to make
any change to it. There is a chance it will blow at your face if you change
it. You never know why there is 0.3 < ver < 1.0 - and if you change it,
whether it will cause chain reaction of conflicts that will ruin your work
day.

On the contrary - if you change it to exact pinning in
.lock/requirements.txt file (poetry/pip-tools) and have much simpler (and
commented) exclusion/avoidance rules in your .in/.tml file, the whole setup
might be much easier to maintain and upgrade. Every time you prepare for
release (or even once in a while for master) one person might consciously
attempt to upgrade all dependencies to latest ones. It should be almost as
easy as letting poetry/pip-tools help with figuring out what are the latest
set of dependencies that will work without conflicts. It should be rather
straightforward (I've done it in the past for fairly complex systems). What
those tools enable is - doing single-shot upgrade of all dependencies.
After doing it you can make sure that all tests work fine (and fix any
problems that result from it). And then you test it thoroughly before you
make final release. You can do it in separate PR - with automated testing
in Travis which means that you are not disturbing work of others
(compilation/building + unit tests are guaranteed to work before you merge
it) while doing it. It's all conscious rather than accidental. Nice side
effect of that is that with every release you can actually "catch-up" with
latest stable versions of many libraries in one go. It's better than
waiting until someone deliberately upgrades to newer version (and the rest
remain terribly out-dated as is the case for Airflow now).

So a bit counterintuitively I think tools like pip-tools/poetry help you to
catch up faster in many cases. That is at least my experience so far.

Additionally, Airflow is an open system - if you have very specific needs
for requirements, you might actually - in the very same way with
pip-tools/poetry - upgrade all your dependencies in your local fork of
Airflow before someone else does it in master/release. Those tools kind of
democratise dependency management. It should be as easy as `pip-compile
--upgrade` or `poetry update` and you will get all the "non-conflicting"
latest dependencies in your local fork (and poetry especially seems to do
all the heavy lifting of figuring out which versions will work). You should
be able to test and publish it locally as your private package for local
installations. You can even mark the specific dependency you want to use
specific version and let pip-tools/poetry figure out exact versions of
other requirements. You can even make a PR with such upgrade eventually to
get it faster in master. You can even downgrade in case newer dependency
causes problems for you in similar way. Guided by the tools, it's much
faster than figuring the versions out by yourself.

As long as we have simple way of managing it and document how to
upgrade/downgrade dependencies in your own fork, and mention how to locally
release Airflow as a package, I think your case could be covered even
better than now. What do you think ?

J.