pip-tools can definitely help here to ship a reference [locked]
`requirements.txt` that can be used in [all or part of] the CI. It's
actually kind of important to get CI to fail when a new [backward
incompatible] lib comes out and break things while allowing version ranges.

I think there may be challenges around pip-tools and projects that run in
both python2.7 and python3.6. You sometimes need to have 2 requirements.txt
lock files.

Max