I am still not convinced that pinning is bad. I re-read again the whole
mail thread and the thread from 2016
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/1809#issuecomment-257502174>
read all the arguments, but I stand by pinning.

I am - of course - not sure about graduation argument. I would just imagine
it might be the cas.. I however really think that situation we are in now
is quite volatile. The latest 1.10.0 cannot be clean-installed via pip
without manually tweaking and forcing lower version of flask-appbuilder.
Even if you use the constraints file it's pretty cumbersome because you'd
have to somehow know that you need to do exactly that (not at all obvious
from the error you get). Also it might at any time get worse as other
packages get newer versions released. The thing here is that maintainers of
flask-appbuilder did nothing wrong, they simply released new version with
click dependency version increased (probably for a good reason) and it's
airflow's cross-dependency graph which makes it incompatible.

I am afraid that if we don't change it, it's all but guaranteed that every
single release at some point of time will "deteriorate" and refuse to
clean-install. If we want to solve this problem (maybe we don't and we
accept it as it is?), I think the only way to solve it is to hard-pin all
the requirements at the very least for releases.

Of course we might choose pinning only for releases (and CI builds) and
have the compromise that Matt mentioned. I have the worry however (also
mentioned in the previous thread) that it will be hard to maintain.
Effectively you will have to maintain both in parallel. And the case with
constraints is a nice workaround for someone who actually need specific
(even newer) version of specific package in their environment.

Maybe we should simply give it a try and do Proof-Of-Concept/experiment as
also Fokko mentioned?

We could have a PR with pinning enabled, and maybe ask the people who voice
concerns about environment give it a try with those pinned versions and see
if that makes it difficult for them to either upgrade dependencies and fork
apache-airflow or use constraints file of pip?

J.