After I slept on it, I thought of how I could extend the antclassloader to handle the situations I need. I am considering a <antlibclassloader /> That will explicitly allow the optional ant task to be loaded in the child classloader.
I may even go so far as automatically adding this fileset ${ant.home}/lib/ant-*.jar to the classloader.

That should handle the usecase I have in mind.

peter reilly wrote:

Ah, I see.
That would be nice, but the classloader task is not
yet complete.

Peter