Dominique Devienne wrote, On 24/07/2003 16.55:

In other words, the context of execution of any imported file should be the
top level build file. I foresee no end in the confusion that would result
otherwise.

Some might argue that an imported file should be able to know where if was
imported from, but I see this as dangerous. It's a limitation that would
make imports in Ant very straightforward.

Can you please expand on this point?

The dir argumentation is what follows:

 - imported buildfile targets are like macros, thus are usually intended
   to be used as if inserted in the main buildfile itself
 - some of the imported targets may need resources relative to *them*,
   and not the importing file, hence the importedfile.ant.file property

Thus all things in the imported file are done relative to the *base* file, and hence the current way would be correct.

Thus, in the sake of consistency, I now start to think that something like the following would be needed to make what Conor thinks should happen:

  <import file="${thisprojectname.ant.file}/../base2/build.xml"/>

or better

<import file="${thisprojectname.basedir}/base2/build.xml"/>

            - verba volant, scripta manent -