On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:23 pm, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> The only thing that comes to mind is that I cannot use super ion
> dependencies, which is a nifty feature :-(

Not sure why this would be needed. Just add <super/> as the first contained
task. All of the other dependencies will have been run by then (i.e. the
dependent targets of the original target, represented by <super/>).

> > BTW, note that simple renaming of targets is not enough. Any use of a
> > target name needs to be updated too (e.g. <antcall>). Can be done (at
> > time of use) but may require tasks knowing their import prefix. The
> > import task will need this to do cascade renaming.
>
> Aha! Wait a sec, is this about the multiple inheritance-no-crosstalk
> thing I outlined?
>
> Could you please expand on this, I'm interested.

Sure. Consider this change to my previous example. It represents rather poor
practice but can happen

  <target name="test">
    <property name="tricky" value="critical"/>
    <antcall target="${tricky}"/>
    <echo message="b.test"/>
  </target>

So the target that <antcall> has to really call is not known until the antcall
is actually executed. Antcall has to evaluate the property, get the value
"critical", look at its own import prefix "b" and decide to therefore call
"b.critical". Some smarts may be possible there if, for example, b.critical
does not exist.

Similarly when imports are processed. Consider if a.xml imports b.xml with
prefix "b" and b.xml imports c.xml with prefix "c" then c's targets actually
need to be renamed to b.c.test in the final project To do tjhis the imprt
task needs to concatenate its own import prefix with given prefix. Of course
prefixes would be optional and then target name collisions would cause an
error, I think.

Conor