Costin Manolache wrote, On 06/08/2003 6.44:

One think I don't understand is why the import should be used as a OO substitute. Most languages I know define the import in a much simpler
way. Maybe I'm missing too much of the context, I'm still trying to get
updated with the mailing lists.

Just to get you up to speed, the current issue is about multiple inheritance, and how the current system allows cross-import (unwanted?) side-effects, as Conor has brilliantly shown.

A brief recap of decisions taken IIUC:

- add an attribute to project: @importable=true, false, only
- add possibility of prefix in import declaration
    <import file="xxx" prefix="xxy"/>
- all paths are resolved resolved to the importing file basedir
- keep projectname.ant.file property for relative path resolutions

- add <include/> task, like entity includes
- add <override-target/> task to override targets

Threads about import (in order): 1 - ImportTask ant 1.6 2 - ant 1.5.4 : Import 3 - override

From thread 2 I wrote:
"
multi-import(import a,b)
  target test depends=a.test, b.test

  target critical
  target test depends=critical

  target critical
  target test depends=critical

Here "critical" means a.critical to a and b.critical to b, but since they reference a generic "critical", they get the only one that remains after being redefined. The problem is that I did not redefine it in the main buildfile!
"

            - verba volant, scripta manent -