On second though, instead of renaming, why don't we use IDs, which are
common and well understood:

<import file="a.xml" id="a" />
<import file="b.xml" id="b" />

<override-target target="init">
  <depends refid="a" target="init" />
  <depends refid="a" target="init" />
</override-target>

or better yet IMHO:

<override-target target="init">
  <super refid="a" />
  <super refid="b" />
</override-target>

The <super> notation feels very natural, and I don't see why one would need
to called a conflicting target (from an imported build file) from anywhere
but the same-name target that resolves the conflict...

--DD

PS: I would still like to be able to use <depends target="..."> in build
    file that do not do any imports, to avoid wrapping long attributes
    like the 'depends' one often is.