ok, I am a moron. I think I ran into the top of that when looking for guidelines and must not have looked down far enough. My apologies for being annoying.
Anyways, what you are saying kind of worries me. I have no where to really post this then? I have a feeling this ant task is just going to end up being used by me because I can't put it in some open source repository to share it with others. this is a self-contained task unlike most other tasks out there so I don't think it would be too hard to include it. People can still e-mail me for support which is why I put my e-mail there, or just assign me the bugs that come in or something.
How should I handle this then? I have attached the new task, which has the apache licenses. I formatted the code to the java standard, and I added about 5 tests. There are extra .java files for testing purposes which I put in src/etc also. I packaged it so it can be unzipped easily into an ant structure as long as you have workareas/ant1.5.4.(I couldn't figure out that part of winzip-winzip illiterate). I will file a bug and attach the zip file there too like the document you referred to me said.
thanks for all your input on this,
Dean

Steve Loughran wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Confused by what you are asking. please see my questions below.

I wrote this task in a few hours. (Testing took a little longer). I didn't think of using the depends and going that route. That might have been a good idea. I would have had to do alot of comparisons. That is something I didn't have to do with the route I did take which was just using javac on the different packages. javac naturally failed the build when it couldn't compile due to bad dependencies.

Is there a process for acceptance of a new task into ant?  How does this
work?  Still need to fix my bug and write a test case, but after that???
thanks for any input here.
dean

Yes, the rules are documented in your CVS tree; look for ant-task-guidelines.

The hard thing to do is convince everyone not that what you have written is a good idea, but that it should go into the repository. Nowadays the aim is to keep the explosion of optional tasks under control, primarily because it caused too much support grief. Instead we prefer for people to host their code wherever, and we point to it; This is why the core of ant being enhanced to make it easier to load plug in libraries.