Thanks for adding it. Hope it is useful to atleast some.
I will correct the version error and send a notification.

I was not aware of the <image> task so far. Thanks for telling me.

The current task being development supports operation only using Java
Advanced Imaging. I am sure more support will be added soon. However I have
implemented a version that uses Java 1.4 (with ImageIO) OR Java 1.2 (with
AWT) OR Java 1.2 with ImageIO   OR Java 1.2 with JAI. The task uses
whichever is available (choosing it at runtime or whichever is specified).

If it is not against the conventions, I would be more than happy to
contribute this code to enhance the current implementation. The
functionality is similar to the Image Taglib I am developing in
jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.
Please see the details at http://www.mullassery.com/software/ANT/ and let me
know your comments.

Regards,