On Tuesday 18 November 2003 15:32, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2003, Stefan Bodewig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, peter reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Vote:
> >> [X] local for ant 1.6
> >> [ ] wait for ant 1.7
> >
> > and done right ;-)

Ouch ;-)

> Things we need to consider IMHO:
>
> (1) Syntax
>
> Your proposal uses a <local> task that sets up a local scope for a
> named property until the enclosing target/sequential finishes.  Jose
> Alberto suggested to use a <local> TaskContainer instead, something
> like
>
> <local>
>   <local-property name="...."/>
> </local>
>
> which would essentially just add an explicit (and differently named)
> <seqential> to your proposal.  I think I prefer the more explicit,
> even if more verbose syntax of the second form.

I think that this looks clumsy. Making local's valid for the
current block scope (target level, or sequential level) feels (to
me) more natural. However, I can see benefits ;- my code may not
catch all uses of sequential.

(note as well that local-property is not a valid name, localproperty
would be correct).

> (2) Shadowing of properties
>
> Your updated proposal ensures that local properties do not override
> "global" user properties.  I think they shouldn't be allowed to
> override any outer scope properties at all.

I think that this will reduce their usefullness a lot. The idea
of not overridding user properties comes from the <ant> family
behaviour, but they can overriden other properties.

> (3) Extent of local properties
>
> You make the local properties available to <script> - will they also
> be available for builds that get called with the <ant> family of tasks
> (assuming inheritall is true)?  I think they should be.

Yes this is implemented.

Peter