that is why it makes more sense to me to define it as deleteOnExit, and not mess with trying to unload an antlib when I don't want it anymore.

MAriano

Dominique Devienne wrote:

From: Jose Alberto Fernandez [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Why does the antlib file or JAR would stay open beyond

Maybe what is needed here, is a way to tell ALL AntClassLoaders
to please close their open files (JARS) and reopen if needed later.

After all, keeping the JARs open is just an optimization.

Well, after reading the antlib.xml, sure you could close the JAR, but once a URLClassLoader from the JDK starts using classes from the JAR (and most likely even before that), that JAR will stay open so it's not swapped under the JVM. I know for sure the Linux JVM memory-maps those JARs in the process address space, and it's very possible the Windows VM does something similar (thus the lock on the JAR file).

I'm not sure Ant wants to go into the business of writing some custom
ClassLoader that would not exhibit this 'standard' behavior of SUN's JDKs...

--DD