Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
The xdocs stuff require time to get the method for processing the xml to html right, and even more to migrate the existing content to new formats.
Once it will be finished, it should improve a little bit the homogeneity of the doc, make it more easy to maintain (hopefully) by avoiding duplication between javadoc comments and manual,
and I hope also even nicer to read for the users. I am personally very interested by this project (because I think documentation is a very important pillar of all software projects).

As a Forrest developer, I am also interested. We have just migrated code from Alexandria to Forrest, in a dir called forrestdoc, that is meant to produce code documentation for a project.

Here is a sample of what it generates ATM:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestdoc/

I am working on support for outputting it to M$ Help and JavaHelp format, and I'm almost finished.

Now, for the ant xdoc proposal... I personally think that the Ant manual is the best manual I've seen so far, especially from a reference POV. When I need to remember some params, the Ant manual makes it very easy for me.

Cocoon has very similar needs: we have many components that are used *not* in a Java program but in an xml descriptor (sitemap), and we too have investigated the possibility of using javadoc tags to generate it automatically. Needless to say, we have a pattern emerging... I'd better start looking in the Ant xdocs proposal :-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -