On Fri, 13 May 2005, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Phil Weighill-Smith wrote:
>> I missed the beginning of this thread but just want to say that I
>> personally think that import is the best feature in Ant today
>> (apart from Ant's being in the first place, that is)!
>
> I find it hard to work with in a big project.
>
> problems
> -risk of adding a new target in an imported build file conflicting
> with one in the importer (i.e. lack of private scope)

Does that really happen for you?

The workaround is to use ugly, likely to be unique target names - or
address the enhancement request this discussion came from and depend
on "imported.foo" for your newly introduced meant-to-be-private target
"foo".

> -when you override a target, you dont get access to its
> dependents. Workaround: many pseudo-targets that only model
> dependencies.

When you completely want to replace a target that is, true.

Another related problem I have is that you can't add something to the
beginning of a target easily.  You can add someting to the end of
"foo" by writing your own "foo" that depends on "imported.foo", but if
you want to add something at the start your imported build file has to
be designed for it.  Which means pseudo-targets that are used as
interception points only.

> -once you have sub-projects importing ../../common.xml, they are no
> longer self contained, which makes it harder to work with outside
> the existing build tree.

Once we can import URLs, you can have a solution for this, at least
for "network connected" development.